30 June 2010

BOOK GRIPE - Overly Lengthy Novels

Just putting it out there...Why oh why are books so long now?  Don't get me wrong, I love reading, and since I've been off work, I've been getting A LOT of it done.  But even with my (considerable) amount of free time, I still abhor needing to pump some iron just to be able to hold my book up. 

Currently, I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and it's great so far.  But can it be great for the next 800+ pages??? I'm skeptical.  To me, this fascination with overly lengthy novels started with Harry Potter.  It has since continued with the Twilight series, among many others.  I get it, that some authors/editors are the "more is better" type, and that for some classics (like Homer's Iliad) longer truly is better...but let's not kid ourselves.  The books I'm griping about are not destined for great things, they are fun, summer reads; nothing more and nothing less.  No doubt there are lots of things that should be long:  walks on the beach, legs, winding roads that lead me to your door, etc.  Anyway, am I alone out here?  Do you think that novels are getting out of control?  Anyone...anyone?  Bueller?

No comments:

Post a Comment